Five people died from electrocution and five others sustained injuries in Barguna and Chandpur districts today (September 17, 2022).
Of them, three were electrocuted in Barguna while two in Chandpur.
In Barguna, three people including a Malayan expatriate were killed and another injured after they were electrocuted by a live wire at Kadamtala village under Dalua union of Sadar upazila this afternoon.
Mehedi Hasan, additional superintendent of Barguna police, confirmed it to our Patkuakhali correspondent.
The deceased were identified as Malaysia expatriate Md Helal (35), his cousin Belayet, 25, and neighbour Robiul Islam (14) of Kadamtala village while the injured was Arif (18).
Locals said house owner Helal, who recently came home from Malaysia, was removing his tin shed house along with others including the trio without disconnecting the electric connection.
At one stage, they came in contact with a live electric wire as the wire fell on tin shed house, leaving four people including Helal, Belayet and Robiul injured.
They were taken to Barguna General Hospital where doctors declared the trio — Helal, Belayet and Robiul — dead, said Dalua Union Parishad Chairman Azizul Haque Swapan.
The injured Arif, 18 is now receiving treatment at the same hospital.
In Chandpur, two people were electrocuted in Shahrasti upazila this morning, reports UNB.
The deceased were Sohag, 35 and Liton Hossain, 19 while the injured were Delwar Hossain, Kasem, Akkas and Md Sohag Mia. They all are from the same area and worked as carpenters.
Abdul Mannan, officer-in-charge of Shahrasti Model Police Station, said the workers came in contact with a live electric wire while carrying the roof of an old tin house near Bepari Bari of Hossainpur village in Tamta North Union of the upazila around 11am.
They were rushed to Shahrasti Upazila Health Complex where doctors declared Liton and Sohag dead on arrival, added the OC.
The injured were undergoing treatment at the health complex.
Police sent the bodies to Sadar General Hospital for an autopsy, he said.